Blog Post #9

     Distance learning has been very helpful and necessary because of COVID and I am very thankful that we have still been able to have school and learn thanks to technology. However, I definitely prefer in-person learning. It is so much easier to communicate with my professors and classmates in person and group projects have been a lot more difficult and honestly not as fun online. It is also harder to stay motivated to go to class and do all of my work. Now there are some aspects of distance/online learning that I have enjoyed. I believe that some assignments are easier online and some classes make sense to do from a distance. Although I have been staring at my screen a lot more, I do have the comfort of my apartment lol. When I become a teacher I pray that COVID is no longer existent and classes are in person, but I would like to incorporate some distance/online learning in my in-person classes. There are several online academic games and other resources that I would love for my students to have the opportunity to use. 

    Open Educational Resources refer to resources that anyone can use and are usually online. There are five ways people can use OERs: retain (make it your own), reuse (use it however you want), revise (edit the resource your way), remix (mix it up with other contents and sources), and redistribute (making copies for others). There are different repositories that teachers can use to access OERs but they can also add in their own works. Using and sharing OERs is a wonderful way to distribute information in a variety of places and letting teachers adapt it to their classroom in a variety of ways. Below is a link that I found on the OER Commons website. It is an article about Alexander Hamilton's Financial Plan and it was very easy to find. I typed in "Alexander Hamilton" "History" "High School" and so many resources popped up. 

http://www.oercommons.org/courses/18b-hamilton-s-financial-plan/view 

    Assignment #4 taught me how to record myself speaking over my PowerPoint. I did not know that PowerPoint had this feature and it was really cool to use. I definitely need to work with it more to get better at it like not speaking during transitions or animations because it won't record your voice, but I definitely can see the potential benefits of this tool. You can record yourself speaking so students can look at the PowerPoint and hear you explain it, and this is perfect for online classes. Assignment #5 taught me how to link words and images to other slides in PowerPoint. I didn't how about this feature either but it's really fun! You can create games or quizzes that people can do themselves in a non-linear way. 

    




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #4

Blog Post #5

Blog Post #3